Naga Chokkanathan

Why Not? — Trust

Posted on: September 3, 2010

Yesterday I was in a music store. It looked very new. I loved the smell of fresh paint, neatly organized albums, helpful staff, and of course, the lovely background instrumental music which sets the tone for a casual browse of your favorite genre of music.

But there was something strange in that store which I didn’t like. Every corner of the store had a print out stuck on the wall. It announced in BIG BOLD letters “We are watching you”. Not once, thrice in each sheet.

Nobody wants to encourage shoplifters. Especially in a music store, quickly stealing a CD should be a lot easier. So it is understandable if the store wants to be extra cautious about shoplifting. But can’t the message be little subtler? Like “Smile. You are on camera!” or “This store is fixed with security cameras” instead of “We are watching you”?

In any store, may be 1 or 2% of the customers would steal. By putting an on-your-face message like “We are watching you”, aren’t they insulting the other 98% (honest) shop-goers?

I doubt if I will ever enter that store again. No relationship can thrive when there is no mutual trust and one views the other as a cheat!

(030)

***

N. Chokkan …

03 09 2010

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Disclaimer

The opinions expressed here are the views of the writer and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of the Organization He works for / belongs to.

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 60 other followers

Big Adda

%d bloggers like this: